Former Nagaoka House, Mima, Tokushima 旧長岡家住宅
Originally located on the lower slopes of the Sanuki Mountains to the north of its present location, the residence is a good example of the area's traditional farm architecture.
Originally constructed in 1735, in 1976 it was registered as an Important Cultural Property and a few years later dismantled and reassembled here.
The Former Nagaoka House is a simple and rudimentary building with just two rooms, the earthern floored kitchen and storage area, and one tatami-floored room.
The thick thatched roof is in what is known as the "yosemune-style" and comes down low over the eaves. Unusually the earthen walls have no cladding, due to the less than average rainfall in the area.
You can enter the kitchen area with its stove, sinks, and various household and agricultural items. Near the irori (sunken hearth ) in the tatami room, a loom and spinning wheel are set up. Interesting to see from the inside is the roof structure.
Right next door is a small shrine, and a hundred meters away is Saimyoji Temple, established in the 8th century and part of the Shikoku Fudo Myo Pilgrimage, and while neither is particularly noteworthy, they are good examples of regular shrines and temples that are not tourist sites.
Former Nagaoka House
34 Nishiueno, Oaza Inoshiri, Wakimachi, Mima-shi, Tokushima 779-3603
Tel: 0883 53 8333
The Former Nagaoka House is located about 4km from Anabuki Station on the JR Tokushima Line or about 1km east of Wakimachi Udatsu Townscape, the area's main tourist attraction.
Ananbuki Station is also convenient for the Wakimachi Odeon-za, a preserved 1930's theater.