Kongoji Temple 金剛寺
History of Kongoji Temple
Kongoji's founding is thought to have been by the priest Gyoki (668-749) during the Nara Period of the 8th century. The temple contained a wooden statue of the Amida Buddha, which was so badly damaged in the Onin War (1467-77) that only the head survived.
Later Kongoji was restored and the head of the statue was brought here at the beginning of the Edo Period in 1602. In 1713 the body of the statue was recarved. The Main Hall dates from 1730.
Kongoji Temple has a small, neat garden and is slightly hidden away in the back streets of the Okazaki area.
Very much a community temple, Kongoji stages a number of local events including "Taichi + Tea" and food festivals.
Kongoji Temple Access
Goken-cho 124, Higashiyama-ku
Tel: 075 771 2442
Admission: Free admission to the temple grounds.
Kongoji Temple is a few minutes walk from Higashiyama Station on the Tozai Line of the Kyoto subway.
Nearby Kongoji Temple
Kongoji Temple is close to Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, the Hosomi Museum, Heian Shrine, the Kampo Museum, the Kanze Kaikan Noh Theater, the Namikawa Cloisonné Museum of Kyoto, Rohm Theater, Kyoto Zoo and the Kyoto Museum of Traditional Crafts in the basement of the Miyako Messe.