Manganji Temple 満願寺
History of Manganji Temple
The date of Manganji's founding is unclear, though it may have its antecedents in the Heian Period, when it was originally a Shingon sect temple.
During the Edo Period in 1697, Manganji became a Nichiren temple and many of the present buildings date from that time, including the Main Hall constructed between 1702-1704 and the Bell Tower in 1703. It is thought that Nichiren (1222-1282) himself once stayed at the temple in its earlier incarnation.
The spacious grounds of Manganji Temple contain a memorial to the film director and scriptwriter Kenji Mizoguchi (1898-1956), who directed such classics of his time as Ugetsu (1953) which won the Silver Lion at the Venice Film Festival.
Mizoguchi worked in Kyoto's Nikkatsu's studios for a period directing such movies as Osaka Elegy and Sisters of the Gion.
After the war, Mizoguchi along with fellow director Yasujiro Ozu, of Tokyo Story fame, were "rediscovered" and acclaimed in the West. At the time of his death in Kyoto of leukemia, aged only 58, Mizoguchi ranked as one of the three great masters of Japanese cinema alongside Ozu and Akira Kurosawa.
Manganji Temple Access
Tel: 075 771 4874
Admission: Free admission to the temple grounds.
Manganji Temple is about 15 minutes walk from Higashiyama Station on the Tozai Line of the Kyoto subway.
Manganji Temple is close to Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, the Hosomi Museum, Heian Shrine, the Kampo Museum, the Kanze Kaikan Noh Theater, the Namikawa Cloisonné Museum of Kyoto, Rohm Theater and the Kyoto Museum of Traditional Crafts in the basement of the Miyako Messe.
Kongoji Temple is a Jodo-shu sect temple close by in Okazaki.