Japan Temples & Shrines: Shiseibyo Naha Okinawa
Shiseibyo Naha 至聖廟
The original Shiseibyo was constructed in 1671-75 and was a gift from the Chinese Emperor Kangxi (1654-1722). It was located close by but was destroyed during World War II. The present buildings were built in 1975.
Shiseibyo was the major Confucian temple on Okinawa and was situated in Kumemura - an area inhabited by the descendants of Chinese immigrants, who formed a class of scholar-bureaucrats serving the Ryukyu king.
The Meirindo, Okinawa's first formal school was located within the Confucian temple.
The temple buildings are set in a grassy compound and include the Taiseiden dedicated to Confucius and other Chinese sages such as Mencius and Zengzi and the Tenson-byo and Tenpi-gu - both Taoist shrines - dedicated to the Dragon King and the goddess of the sea respectively.
In 2013, a new Confucian Temple was built in the nearby Kume district very close to Fukushu-en Garden. The mortuary tablet of Confucius was transferred from the temple at Wakasa to the new temple.
There is also a large Confucian Temple in Nagasaki on Kyushu.
Wakasa 1-25-1 Naha
Tel: 098 868 8598
Shiseibyo is close to Fukushu-en Garden, Gokokuji Temple, Naminoue Shrine and the Tsushima-maru Memorial Museum. The nearest Yui Rail station is Asahibashi, 15 minutes away on foot. There is a bus from Kencho-mae Station at Palette Kumoji Department Store, get off at Nishinjo.