Kyoto Temples & Shrines: Shoboji Temple
Shoboji Temple, Oharano 正法寺
History of Shoboji Temple, Oharano
Shoboji Temple like Oharano Jinja was founded in the 8th century, though it predates the move of the imperial capital from Nara to nearby Nagaoka in 784.
The grounds of Shoboji Temple are noted for a modern rock garden with stones collected from different prefectures in Japan.
Some of the stones resemble animals - even a penguin. There are various ponds, bridges, stepping stones and stone lanterns adorning the garden, which can be viewed from inside a tatami-floored hall, where green tea may be served.
The hall contains an image of a thousand-armed Kannon, which is designated an Important Cultural Property.
Shoboji Temple also has a number of statues of Jizo, the protector of children, where prayers are offered for miscarried or aborted children. At the back of the temple is a large graveyard.
1102 Oharano Minamikasuga-cho
Tel: 075 331 0105
Admission: 300 yen.
Shoboji Temple Access - How to get to Shoboji Temple in Oharano
From Kyoto Station take a JR Kyoto Line train to Mukomachi Station (180 yen, 7 minutes) or a Hankyu Line train from Shijo Kawaramachi Station, Shijo Karasuma or Shijo Omiya to Higashi-muko Station (20 minutes, 220 yen). From both stations take the #63 or #65 bus to Minami Kasugacho, the last stop. The journey takes 20 minutes and costs 270 yen.
Nearby Shoboji Temple
It is possible to visit Yoshiminedera and Jurinji temples to the south west in the same day but it would mean returning to Higashi Muko and taking another bus.
Other places to visit in the Oharano district include the adjacent Oharano Shrine, Hana no Tera (Shojiji), Gantokuji and Saikoji temples.