Nagoya Temples & Shrines: Osu Kannon Temple
Osu Kannon Temple 大須観音
Osu Kannon is a Shingon sect temple and attracts large crowds on the 18th of each month to its popular flea market.
Osu Kannon History
Osu Kannon, officially known as Kitanosan Shinpuku-ji Hosho-in, was first built in the Hashima area of Gifu in the 14th century just outside Nagoya city. Osu Kannon Temple was moved to its present location in 1612 by local warlord, later shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu.
A fire destroyed parts of the temple in 1820 and after some damage in World War II, the temple was rebuilt in the 1970's as a modern replica of its original form.
Osu Kannon is famous for its library which contains over 15,000 Japanese and Chinese Buddhist texts as well as the oldest hand-written copy of the Kojiki - an historical chronicle of early Japanese history.
The large temple has a number of prayer flags at the front and a huge red lantern where worshipers can attach a wish written on a piece of paper. Huge incense burners stand outside the Honden or main hall. The grounds have attracted a large flock of pigeons, kept well-fed by the devout.
Osu Kannon Temple hosts a popular flea market on the 18th of each month with a smaller flea market on the 28th here and at nearby Banshoji Temple.
Access - how to get to Osu Kannon Temple in Nagoya
Osu Kannon is a short distance from Osu Kannon Station on the Tsurumai Line or a little further from Kamimaezu Station on the Tsurumai and Meijo lines of the Nagoya subway. Osu Kannon Temple is also close to the shopping, dining and entertainments area of Sakae to the north, Banshoji Temple and Ran-no-kan Orchid Gardens.
Osu Kannon Temple
21-47 Osu 2-chome
Tel: 052 231 6525
Google map of Osu Kannon
Osu Kannon Temple Video